Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Note to self--always wear a ball cap when visiting Lunenburg. Discovered today just why this is so important. You want to be wearing something washable on your head so that when a seagull decides to crap on you, the shit doesn't slime your hair, only the hat. Please, don't ask me how I know this...

Isn't it great to be so in tune with nature that you know what to wear to be fashionable and washable? Who said I don't know what's what?

It is also fiddlehead season, which must last, what? all of three days. This is a culinary treat not to be missed no matter what the little suckers cost. Presently simmering some on the stove for supper, prior to dowsing them in garlic butter. I figure my arteries need the butter and besides isn't garlic good for me, stands to reason combining them will be even better.

Dyed some Cotswold fleece acquired during a visit to Ross Farm Museum last Sunday. Boulder Brook Spinners were there with wheels and spindles to spin all afternoon and talk to visitors about spinning. We had a great time, doing our spinning thing in public! The dyed fleece is an experiment to see how close I could get to the copper colour I want for a Lucy Neatby pattern called Faroese Flower Shawl. I did pretty good in terms of colour, never mind that I figure it will take me at least three years, yes years, to knit this. The pattern runs to 7 pages with another four pages of chart. Yikes. It may be too late in life to start such a project, even though I plan to live into my nineties--I hear the nineties are all champagne and roses, or at least mine will be.

I plan to knit the shawl in the Polwarth I've been spinning in fingering weight--only a bit left to do and I can ply up for the last skein.

No comments: