Monday, August 27, 2007

Are we having fun yet?

One of the rituals of autumn that I have participated in the last few years is to take Caitie shopping in the city for school attire. This means trawling through a long series of shops that cater to teen fashion at what is to me horrendous prices for the quality of the goods on offer. I recognize that fashion is paramount here, not durability, classic design or clothing that one can wear for several seasons and that I have to pretty much keep my gob shut about these things so I don't distress or otherwise take the pleasure out of the experience of this for her. But it is always a challenge to see money put down for things that either won't fit in a couple of weeks (or after the first wash) and that won't be wearable because they'll be a fashion crime by Christmas. Perhaps it is the weaver of near 30 years experience in me, but I demand a certain amount of quality in any garment I buy, and nine times out of ten will buy it used where I can buy better quality for less money. Then again fashion has never been a driving force in my life (see earlier post on being made over...) because I've never had the money to participate in that particular shill game.

My current goal is to create with my own handspun, a series of 'classic' knitted pieces to go with my standard khakis and jeans. The pieces I've made so far give me great pleasure and I feel good when I wear them. When I tire of a particular sweater or vest I can always choose to rip it out, and recycle it into another or simply pass it on to someone else via the donation box at the local hospital auxillary shop. My cost is primarily time.

I'm not suggesting that my young friend ought to do what I take such delight in, I just wish that what was fashionable for her age was of better quality, durability and price point, in a word, less disposable. I'd wish for precedent that things, including clothing are meant to last, and not to show up in landfill within the year. I'd wish for an understanding of the concepts of durability, quality and things built to last. Unfortunately these ideas seem to have gone out of the culture so it is small wonder that they are difficult for the young (or anyone) to grasp.

1 comment:

Trollfiend said...

You're so old-fashioned.