Tuesday, August 19, 2008

We may have a problem...not!

This morning I got a copy of A Fine Fleece by Lisa Lloyd.  I have now had a quick flip through this beautiful book and I want to make everything in it.  Not only that, but I want to start right this minute, allocating fibre stash to projects and deciding what will be dyed with natural materials and what will get the Magic Carpet Dye for colour.  Then I want to spend the next three months spinning that up and getting going.  I want to do this without the least bit of personal restraint or consideration of things like meals and showers.  I want to dive in and play and play and play until I have everything knit up and wearable. Oh for heavens sake, how am I going to do that?

It isn't as though I don't have a rather extensive WIP (work in progress) knitting queue mounded on the end of my sofa already and in several baskets besides. I wonder how many socks I have on the go? Six? Eight? More?  Shawls? Only 5, not to worry. Nor am I lax in terms of spinning queue--I'm currently working on a dark lama/mohair blend for a sweater which I've begun to knit; laceweight mohair for shawl(s); qiviut laceweight for a scarf or small shawl; sock yarn; and Gotland for my first gansey.

Okay I see the problem.  I need several more lives and need to be able to live them concurrently. What? that's not possible? Why-ever not? Somebody should get on that--and hurry will you.

Just because I stopped weaving (oh, so many years ago) doesn't mean I've in anyway lost my passion for fibre. And weaving, you're on my list for when I, umm, retire.

I can't possibly wear, or use all of this stuff I'm making myself so being on my friends list may prove quite beneficial.  You can start a wish list in the comments, but I can't promise anything by a specific date--I'm much too fickle a spinner and knitter for any such thing. You've figured that out by now I suppose?

1 comment:

Helen said...

I am exhausted just reading your blog - how I wish I could keep up with your pace of projects!

I have been thinking of you and wondering what you are up to.

I spend my 12 hours days on the wharf and then flop on the sofa with a glass of wine (or several!); I crash into bed, only to get up in the morning to start all over again. I am not enjoying selling tickets as much as in previous years - I think perhaps that role has run its course.

John and I have erected a 10' x 18' tent on our friend's property across the street and are holding bi-weekly gatherings on Monday evenings. I have also built a 7-circuit labyrinth laid out with wood shavings to define the path.

It's a shame you can't store the heat from the summer to fuel the winter! We bought a rechargeable battery with solar panel to use up in the tent - a small step to sustainability.

Take care, knit well; see you soon I hope, Helen