Saturday, November 22, 2008

A white white world

First snow storm of the season arrived overnight and what a dump it was. Nothing is moving on the street, don't even think the plows have been through yet, or if they have it hasn't made a significant difference to the state of the road. I won't be getting out of the driveway any time soon either. There's a foot of snow blown up against the kitchen door which I opened (and got a face full of blowing snow) in an effort to see if I could make it to the ash can to dump a load of warm ashes from the wood stove. Nope, there needs to be shovelling to get to the ash can. Snow shovelling will ensue later in the day because I'll need to dump those ashes if I want to keep a fire going over the next few days. 

While it is very white, windy and surprisingly cold this morning I'm toasty beside the wood stove and won't be moving very far from it for the next five months or so. 

Ah, I hear a snow plow; there he is filling up the driveways as he passes and clears the street. How nice is that? Once I had a look, I'm not sure 'nice' even in a snarky way, quite covers the four foot high bank the plow deposited at the bottom of my driveway.

I can't actually shovel to any degree anymore, maybe make a little path to the ash can or remove an inch of snow from the back porch so I don't track it in when I fetch firewood. I'm hoping Doug my neighbour is still willing to do the big stuff, haven't talked to him in a while so I don't know if he's up for that this winter. Last winter he wasn't working but I think he's now back at work.

And there's no hope today of the lovely dinner I was invited to and so looking forward to at Trattoria della Nonna in Lunenburg. The weather's too icky and the roads will be a miserable slidey mess. Sadly it ain't worth the risk or aggravation. And neither Lisa or I have winter tires.

Meanwhile I'm knitting away on the arm warmers and little fingerless mitts that are really cute in left over Noro from the felted bag project of last summer. You know, my trombone bag. It has a role in my world as a stash bag, but would easily be useful as a trombone cosy. The proportions are all out of whack. Colour's nice though... Maybe I should make a hat from the Noro too?

No comments: