Saturday, July 18, 2009

Knitter credentials

I read many, perhaps too many, knitting blogs. There's one thing I'm now certain of. To be a real knitter (RK) you need at least one cat. While I love the feline as an idea, my asthma and a friend's deadly allergy, prevent me from enjoying the live in company of my own cat. I need a virtual cat, and have yet to find one that I find satisfactory.

What to do about my lack of official credentials as an RK? I've knit enough I do believe that I should qualify, even without a resident moggie. Do the cats in my yard count? I have several regular visitors who are very enamored of the space beneath my garage, which I suspect is overflowing with good moggie prey. Said moggies are less amusing when the spray my woodpile however. Just saying.

So what I wonder might be an acceptable alternative to having my own cat?

Suggestions?

I'm concerned, I do want to be considered a RK, especially as I spend many hours each and every evening, knitting my wee fingers to nubbins. Another lace shawl Girasole nearly finished, which will bring me to five shawls so far this year. The Girasole is knit in a fine mohair and is truly luscious as well as great fun to knit. Just finishing up the knitted border, probably at least two more evenings of this until I'm done.

The weather (summer?) has been lovely and cool (I know that I'm weird in this!) so knitting a mohair shawl has been a perfect enterprise these last couple of months. As the weather is apparently changing to warmer, I'll move on to something a little less cozy once this piece is finished.

There are, after all, another five or six shawls in the queue....

No comments: