Tuesday, April 10, 2007

A long weekend seems a perfect time to indulge in some serious cookery. On a small budget I really needed to be creative and think I did remarkably well. Began my kitchen marathon with Savoy cabbage and Italian meatballs, a Marcella Hazan recipe. Then I made a paté with pork and veal of indeterminate age excavated from the freezer. From there I went on to Braised Lamb Shanks a la Rob Feenie-a spectacular recipe which fills the house with fragrance all afternoon as the shanks simmer. Tonight it was another Hazan recipe, Sausages & Cream sauce for pasta. Who says you can't eat well while subsisting on the 55% of your work income that pogie so generously gives you as an unemployment stipend. And everything makes leftovers so I probably won't actually cook again until next weekend.

But I do have to bake some banana bread or muffins to use up over-ripe bananas and as I'm going on a road trip (not long only a day trip to Truro) I need something for snacking in the car. I'm not that interested in moving now that the sausages & cream sauce and pasta are settling, though I'd best get at the task anyway.

Spun more silver coloured fleece this afternoon for the Sakori vest I'm making out of it. Worked on the artisan vest-but finding it difficult to crochet the edgings as I can't see the damn thing easily. Definitely need my glasses tuned up a notch or two because I'm going cross-eyed doing handwork lately or reading the computer screen.

Did write today, and completed my preparations to take the taxes info to the accountant. That was the work portion of my day.

Was disappointed last night that the copy of Auntie Mame (1958) wouldn't run past scene 18. The DVD is broken and badly scratched so it has gone back to Zip.ca for replacement. I have Little Miss Sunshine to watch again if I feel so moved, but I'll probably just knit for an hour and get to bed early. I have to be ready to hit the road at 8:00am which means for me a 6:45 stumble out of bed. Not a favourite thing to do, and must do this twice this week. Hey, I'm unemployed, what's with these early mornings anyway!

No comments: