Monday, July 16, 2007

Work in progress, but not THAT!

'Tis summerish here, and today that means no fog and warmer temperatures. What I love about NS is just how variable the weather is. What me and the books don't love is 87% humidity in the house, though I suppose winter heating with a woodstove brings everything back into something like balance, but meanwhile it tries the patience and makes me sweat like a litter of piggies. Air conditioning would probably just give me snow in the house.

Works in progress? No, nothing in the writing line as yet, wait for the production loom to be safely moved to its new home, then we'll talk writing projects. So, w-i-p is a lace scarf knit out of many plies of very very fine silk thread. Same thread used to make the 8 harness silk satin at 90epi on the production loom. It makes me feel a tad nostalgic, but only a wee tad.

[pause for taxi service for Ms C and her friend...]

Supper completed, laundry in from the line, and two mesh bags of wool soaking in hot water and Orvus paste in the washing machine. This is a lovely soft white fleece from P and I'm really looking forward to spinning it up into fine sock yarn and then doing something fun with it in the dye bath.

Now the Cotswold, what will I do about the gorgeous Cotswold I have? Do I wait patiently until I can research and purchase combs and then comb this fleece, or do I just fling bits onto the carder tray and hope for the best? It is such lovely fleece that it seems to me to make sense to learn to use the combs and a diz, but I'm all for jumping in with my usual impatience and just getting what I get. I read recently that this fleece is called 'poor woman's mohair' and it certainly has the lustre and dyeing it gives luscious results whatever the colour.

I ought to be doing chores, vacuuming, organizing, clearing a path for the removal of the Lervad loom but I'm warm, weary and attached to a cold drink, my recliner and the macbaby. At least until I have to drain the washer and give the fleece a rinse in about 20 minutes.

The next couple of weeks will be summer busy, so I need to carve out as much time for the scarf project as possible so I can get it done in time to mail it for a September birthday gift. It would help immensely if I didn't have to take it apart every so often when confronted by a glaring error. Minor errors I'll live with, glaring, not so much. It does require a great deal of persistence when knitting the same 4 inches over and over again, so when I get to pull yarn from the ball I let out a cheer, yes, we're past the point of the last......umm, ____up. Way to go girl.

Considering going to Lunenburg after work tomorrow to see how close I can get to the Tall Ships in port. I mean if I have to walk from Mahone Bay or Blockhouse due to massive traffic snarls and zero parking, I'll be turning around for home without so much as a second thought about it at the earliest opportunity. I'm hoping to have a 'window' around 4:30 where I can get into town and find some place for the car and be homeward bound again by 6:30 or so.

Okay, so the strawberries are wonderful this year and I've made 16 cups of jam and have it stowed in the freezer for winter. I don't know how I found room, but I did. I know, I know, I've promised to excavate the freezer but I'm waiting for more information on the correct method, grid layout and possibly an historical artifact removal permit from the county. And then of course I have to carefully select my highly trained team. It could take years.

No comments: